The corner stone. (Columbus, Ga.) 1853-186?
The corner stone.
Place of Publication:
- Columbus, Muscogee county
James N. Bethune
Dates of publication:
- Began in 1853.
- Columbus (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Muscogee County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01216552
- Muscogee County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 18 (May 2, 1853).
- Secessionist. Cf. Griffith, L.T. Ga. journalism, 1763-1950.
The corner stone. May 5, 1853
Former editor of both the Columbus Times and Columbus Enquirer, General James N. Bethune founded the Corner Stone in 1854. The paper was one of Georgia’s earliest issues newspapers dedicated to State’s Rights. In the same year as its creation, the paper began calling for secession from the Union. The Corner Stone ceased publication in the early 1860s under the financial pressures of the Civil War.