Federal republican advocate, and commercial advertiser. (Savannah, Ga.) 1807-180?
Place of Publication:
- Savannah, Chatham county
Dates of publication:
- Began with July 27, 1807 issue.
- Chatham County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Chatham County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01207617
- Savannah (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia.
- Brigham, C.S. Amer. newspapers,
- Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 17 (Sept. 21, 1807).
- Latest issue consulted: Vol. 1, no. 55 (Feb. 1, 1808).
- Shaw & Shoemaker
Federal republican advocate, and commercial advertiser. October 5, 1807
In 1804, the Georgia Republican was Savannah’s sole Jeffersonian Republican paper. The editors, James Lyon and Samuel Morse, were aggressive in their opposition to the Federalist Columbian Museum, and their tactics alienated Jeffersonian Republican supporters of the city. In response, James Hely of the Louisville Republican Trumpet, an ardent supporter of Jeffersonian Republican James Jackson, moved to Savannah to establish the Southern Patriot. Hely’s Patriot was meant to be a more even-tempered Republican newspaper in Savannah and published semi-weekly. The first issue of the paper published on November 10, 1804. After only a short time managing the paper, Hely passed ownership on to John Dougherty who changed the masthead to the Patriot and Commercial Advertiser. The paper printed under that title from 1806 to July 20, 1807 before the firm John Carmont and Company took over ownership. From July 27, 1807 until ceasing publication a few years later, the paper would be known as the Federal Republican Advocate, and Commercial Advertiser.