Digital Library of Georgia Logo
GALILEO Logo

The Valdosta times. (Valdosta, Ga.) 1874-194?

 

Title:

The Valdosta times.

Place of Publication:

Valdosta, Ga.

Geographic coverage:

  • Valdosta, Lowndes county

Publisher:

C.R. Pendleton

Dates of publication:

1874-194?

Description:

  • Began in 1874?

Frequency:

Semiweekly May 12, 1896-

Languages:

  • English

Subjects:

  • Georgia--Lowndes County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01208840
  • Georgia--Valdosta.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01217253
  • Lowndes County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
  • Valdosta (Ga.)--Newspapers.

Notes:

  • Description based on: Vol. 9, no. 2 (Mar. 20, 1875).
  • Editor: Charles R. Pendleton, <1876>.
  • Every other issue called: Our Tuesday extra, May 12, 1896-Mar. 30, 1897.
  • Published by: Pendleton & Peeples, <1887>.

LCCN:

sn86053149

OCLC:

13211422

The Valdosta times. January 28, 1905

About

Major Philip C. Pendleton established the South Georgia Times in Valdosta in 1867 as a weekly publication and ran the paper for two years before dying from injuries sustained after being thrown from a horse. His sons took over ownership and retained control throughout most of the 19th century. In 1874, the Pendletons renamed the publication the Valdosta Times. The newspaper was incorporated under the Valdosta Times Publishing company in 1889, with Charles R. Pendleton serving as president of the company. Charles G. Brantley became editor of the Times after Mr. Pendleton was replaced by D. C. Ashley as president of the Times Publishing Company. The paper began daily circulation in 1905 under the Valdosta Daily Times name to serve the growing population of Valdosta and served as a strong advocate for the city's burgeoning agriculture and industry. The paper continued publication through the twentieth century and continues to serve the citizens of Lowndes County today.