The North Georgian. (Gainesville, Ga.) 1877-18??
Place of Publication:
- Bellton, Banks county
- Maysville, Banks county
- Gainesville, Hall county
Dates of publication:
- Banks County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Banks County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01214864
- Georgia--Hall County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01211767
- Hall County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Description based on: Oct. 1, 1877 issue.
- Published in Bellton, Ga. <June 1879-Aug. 1883>.
- Published in Maysville, Ga. <Mar. 25, 1885-
The North Georgian. September 24, 1878
John Blats established the North Georgian in Gainesville, Georgia in 1877. The paper circulated weekly on Tuesdays at a cost of one dollar per year. In June 1879, Blat moved the paper to Bellton, Georgia. Under his ownership, the paper supported the policies of the Democratic Party and endorsed General Winfield Scott Hancock for president in 1880. Ownership of the paper transferred several times while the paper circulated in Banks County. J. W. Sumpter purchased the paper in October 1883 and moved it to Homer, Georgia. In February 1884, the North Georgian again moved cities and began publishing out of nearby Maysville, Georgia under the ownership of W. A. Worshan. The paper supported the temperance movement during this period. By the late 1880s, however, the paper was out of circulation.