Georgia express. (Athens, Ga.) 1808-1809
Place of Publication:
- Athens, Clarke county
Dates of publication:
- -v. 2, no. 60 (July 15, 1909).
- Began with Mar. 14, 1808 issue.
- Athens-Clarke County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Athens-Clarke County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01255999
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 13 (Aug. 6, 1808).
Georgia express. August 6, 1808
Athens, incorporated in 1806, received its first printing office when Reverend John Hodge purchased a printer from Philadelphia and attempted to start a religious and literary newspaper. Due to Hodge’s poor health, he sold the printing press to associate printer, Alexander McDonnell. Alexander McDonnell, along with co-owner Elias Harris, created Athens’ first newspaper on March 14, 1808, with the weekly Georgia Express. In July, 1809, the paper’s masthead read Foreign Correspondent and Georgia Express as the owners began incorporating foreign news reports and expanded the size of the publication. Elias Harris sold his shares of the newspaper to McDonnell, and McDonnell would be sole owner and editor until he brought on Xenophon Gaines in 1811 as an assistant editor. The Express continued until 1814 when McDonnell entered into business with former newspaper editor John Hodge to found the Athens Gazette.