The Weekly standard & express. (Cartersville, Ga.) 1871-1871
Place of Publication:
- Cartersville, Bartow county
Dates of publication:
- Began in Nov. 1871, ceased in Dec. 1871.
- Bartow County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Cartersville (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Bartow County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01214862
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 3 (Nov. 23, 1871).
The Weekly standard & express. November 23, 1871
Samuel H. Smith, brief editor and proprietor of the Cassville Standard, established the Cartersville Express in 1858 with Dr. W. T. Gold Smith. By 1859, the Express and Standard were in a co-partnership. Much like the Standard, the Express was a Democratic publication, but the two publications differed on the topic of secession. The editors of the Express favored secessionist candidates John C. Breckenridge and Joseph Lane in the 1860 presidential election. Along with the Standard, the Express ceased publication in the early 1860s, but the Express re-opened its doors as a weekly in January, 1865. Samuel H. Smith edited the revived paper while Robert P. Milam acted as the paper’s owner. From 1868 to 1871, C. C. Morgan, Colonel J. J. Howard, and James Watt Harris would serve as co-editors with Smith. In 1871, the Cartersville Express and Cartersville Standard would consolidate under the title Standard and Express under the ownership of Smith, Wikle & Company.