Digital Library of Georgia Logo
GALILEO Logo

Winder weekly news. (Winder, Jackson County, Ga.) 18??-1909

 

Title:

Winder weekly news.

Place of Publication:

Winder, Jackson County, Ga.

Geographic coverage:

  • Winder, Barrow county
  • Winder, Jackson county

Publisher:

R.O. Ross

Dates of publication:

18??-1909

Description:

  • -v. 17, no. 46 (Dec. 16, 1909).

Frequency:

Weekly

Languages:

  • English

Subjects:

  • Barrow County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
  • Georgia--Barrow County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01214863
  • Georgia--Winder.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01217048
  • Winder (Ga.)--Newspapers.

Notes:

  • Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
  • Description based on: Vol. 16, no. 2 (Apr. 16, 1908).

LCCN:

sn89053009

OCLC:

19113451

Winder weekly news. April 16, 1908

About

The town of Jug Tavern became Winder in 1893 after the town was connected to Atlanta and Athens via the Seaboard Airline Railroad. The same year as the town’s reincorporation, M. D. Irwin and J. F. Sells began publication of a weekly Populist newspaper titled the Jackson Economist. The two partners ran the paper until Albert G. Lamar of the short-lived Georgia Populist purchased the Economist and became sole editor and publisher. Lamar managed the paper until 1907 when he transferred ownership to N. B. Lord and C. H. Cook; at the time of the sale, the paper had a circulation of 1,192 and cost one dollar per year. During the short tenure of these new owners, the masthead of the Economist became the Winder Weekly News. Lord and Cook managed the publication for less than a year before handing the paper over to Robert O. Ross and his brother G. D. Ross in 1909. Under the Ross & Ross Publishers Company, the retitled Winder News moved away from its Populist politics and shifted towards the Democratic Party. In 1920, the company reincorporated as the Winder News Publishing Company. The Ross brothers were the paper’s longest owners to date as they did not sell the paper until 1921. In 1921, J. W. McWhorter and former owner C. H. Cook purchased the News and maintained ownership until 1934. During their run, the News merged with competitor Barrow Times to form the Winder News and Barrow Times. The paper reverted to the Winder News title from 1925 to 2000. The publication continues today under the title Barrow News-Journal as Barrow County’s legal organ.