The Carroll free press. (Carrollton, Ga.) 1883-1948
Place of Publication:
- Carrollton, Carroll county
Dates of publication:
- [Vol. 1, no. 1] (Nov. 23, 1883)-v. 65, no. 22 (July 27, 1948).
- Carroll County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Carroll County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01211775
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Merged with: Carroll County times (Carrollton, Ga. : 1872), to form: Times-free press (Carrollton, Ga. : 1948).
The Carroll free press. November 23, 1883
Edwin R. Sharpe founded two of Carrollton’s earliest newspapers. In 1872, he established the Carroll County Times but quickly sold the paper and took up farming for over a decade. He founded a second newspaper in 1883 titled the Carroll Free Press. Sharpe continued publication of the paper until his death in 1899. The County Times and Free Press were brought under combined ownership in 1943 and eventually merged into the Times-Free Press in 1948. In 1980, the Times-Free Press merged with the Carroll County Georgian to form the city’s current paper, the Times-Georgian.