The Dahlonega watchman. (Dahlonega, Ga.) 184?-1???
Place of Publication:
- Dahlonega, Lumpkin county
Dates of publication:
- Dahlonega (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Lumpkin County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01207616
- Lumpkin County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 8 (Apr. 3, 1845).
- Latest issue consulted: Vol. 4, no. 40 (Dec. 21, 1848).
- Published by: Wm. Martin, <1848>.
The Dahlonega watchman. December 31, 1846
The Dahlonega Watchman began publication in February 1845 as a successor to the defunct Dahlonega Times. Jesse R. Wikle published the weekly Democratic paper at a cost of two dollars per year. The Watchman covered the news of the city during the final years of the Georgia Gold Rush. The paper promoted the city of Dahlonega and the prospect of further gold strikes in the area. By the mid-1850s, the Dahlonega Watchman was out of circulation.