The Western herald. (Auraria, Lumpkin County, Ga.) 1833-1???
Place of Publication:
- Auraria, Lumpkin county
Dates of publication:
- Vol. 1, no. 1 (Apr. 9, 1833)-
- Auraria (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Lumpkin County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01207616
- Lumpkin County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Latest issue consulted: Vol. 1, no. 41 (Jan. 31, 1834).
The Western herald. April 9, 1833
Auraria, briefly the seat of Lumpkin County in 1832, did not have a newspaper until 1833. Albon Chase of the Southern Banner wanted to establish a newspaper in the gold rush region but ultimately decided against maintaining two newspapers so far apart. O.P. Shaw, a business associate of Albon Chase, took on the responsibility and published the first issue of the Western Herald on April 9, 1833. The Herald was the first newspaper published in Lumpkin County. O.P. Shaw continued to reside in Athens, however, leaving Editor A.G. Fambrough with day-to-day control over the publication. Fambrough reported mining operations of the town, published original editorial essays, and featured departments on local events. Politically, the Herald followed the Troup Party of Georgia and aligned itself with the States’ Rights Party later. Fambrough edited until January 11, 1834, when he brought on J. J. Hutchinson to edit but maintained partial ownership of the paper. On January 31, 1834, Fambrough and Shaw sold the newspaper to William E. Jones and Hines Holt Jr. Jones and Holt moved the newspaper twice in 1834, first to Auraria’s rival town Dahlonega and then finally to Athens. In Athens, the Herald ceased publication after being absorbed by the Southern Whig.