Waycross evening herald. (Waycross, Ga.) 189?-19??
Place of Publication:
- Waycross, Ware county
Dates of publication:
- Georgia--Ware County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01217124
- Ware County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Waycross (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Description based on: Vol. 15, no. 361 (June 3, 1908).
- Merged with: Waycross daily journal, to form: Waycross daily journal and evening herald.
- Weekly editions: Waycross weekly herald (Waycross, Ga. : 1893), 1893-1094?; Weekly edition of the Waycross evening herald, 1904?-1908; Waycross weekly herald (Waycross, Ga. : 1908), 1908-
Waycross evening herald. January 2, 1911
Following Daniel Sweat’s closure of the Reporter in Waycross in the early 1890s, Ben E. Russell established the weekly Waycross Herald to fill the city’s news vacuum. Subsequent owner A. P. Perham began publishing the paper on a daily basis under the Evening Herald banner, making it the city's first daily newspaper. A competing publication, the Waycross Journal, began weekly circulation in October of 1895 under editor Daniel Sweat, formerly of the Reporter. The Journal transitioned into daily circulation in 1911. The Waycross Herald and Waycross Journal eventually merged into a single publication in 1914 and was renamed the Waycross Journal-Herald. The paper continues publication today under that name.