The Waycross journal. (Waycross, Ga.) 1895-1914
Place of Publication:
- Waycross, Ware county
Dates of publication:
- Began in 1895; ceased July 1914.
- Georgia--Ware County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01217124
- Ware County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Waycross (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Description based on: Vol. 6, no. 43 (June 14, 1901).
The Waycross journal. June 14, 1901
Following Daniel Sweat’s closure of the Reporter in Waycross in the early 1890s, Ben E. Russell established the weekly Waycross Herald to fill the city’s news vacuum. Subsequent owner A. P. Perham began publishing the paper on a daily basis under the Evening Herald banner, making it the city's first daily newspaper. A competing publication, the Waycross Journal, began weekly circulation in October of 1895 under editor Daniel Sweat, formerly of the Reporter. The Journal transitioned into daily circulation in 1911. The Waycross Herald and Waycross Journal eventually merged into a single publication in 1914 and was renamed the Waycross Journal-Herald. The paper continues publication today under that name.