The republic. (Macon, Ga.) 1844-1845
Place of Publication:
- Macon, Bibb county
Dates of publication:
- Ceased with Apr. 23, 1845 issue.
- Vol. 1, no. 1 (Oct. 19, 1844)-
- Bibb County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Bibb County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01207988
- Macon (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
The republic. October 19, 1844
Samuel M. Strong, a lawyer and local politician in Macon, Georgia, published the first issue of The Republic on October 19, 1844. At a subscription cost of three dollars per year, the paper printed weekly out of an office on Cotton Avenue. The newspaper politically reflected Strong’s alignment with the Democratic Party. Due in large part to Strong’s advocacy for the annexation of Texas, he was elected to the Georgia House of Representatives in the spring of 1845 and ceased publication of The Republic on April 23, 1845 as a result.