The Newnan weekly news. (Newnan, Ga.) 189?-1906
Place of Publication:
- Newnan, Coweta county
Dates of publication:
- -v. 6, no. 42 (Jan. 26, 1906).
- Coweta County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Coweta County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01211861
- Newnan (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Description based on: Vol. 5, no. 39 (Jan. 4, 1905).
The Newnan weekly news. January 4, 1905
P. T. McCutchen, publisher of the Franklin News, published the first issue of the Newnan Weekly News in late 1900 as a weekly Democratic newspaper. During that first year of the Weekly News, McCutchen also circulated a daily paper titled the Newnan Morning News, but he ceased publication of the daily in 1901. T. S. Parrott joined the Weekly News in 1902 but left the paper to work for its competitor, the Newnan Herald & Advertiser, in 1905. The same year as Parrott’s departure, McCutchen sold his newspaper to J. T. Fain, who changed the masthead to the Newnan News. Fain acted as sole editor and publisher until he sold controlling interest of the paper to Charles M. Morcock in November of 1907. In 1908, H. S. Bowden, president of Southern Telegraph and Business College, became part owner and editor of the News. The paper again had new owners when Allan & Johnston formed a partnership and purchased the publication in 1909. By 1911, the newspaper was owned by the News Publishing Company with C. R. Crane acting as editor. Crane remained with the Newnan News until 1914 when P. J. Orr became owner. The Newnan News’ final issue was printed on January 21, 1915, after which the News Publishing Company merged with the Newnan Herald & Advertiser’s Newnan Publishing Company. The two Newnan papers were consolidated to form the Newnan Herald which remains Newnan’s legal organ as the Newnan Times-Herald.