The Palmetto gazette. (Palmetto, Ga.) 1871-1???
Place of Publication:
- None, Campbell county
- Palmetto, Fulton county
Dates of publication:
- Began in 1871.
- Palmetto (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 28 (Nov. 4, 1871).
The Palmetto gazette. November 4, 1871
The citizens of Campbell County named the city of Fairburn the county seat by referendum vote in 1871. In March of 1871, A. D. Starnes, anticipating an economic boom in the town, founded the Fairburn Gazette as the city’s first weekly newspaper. The paper did not stay in Fairburn long as Starnes moved his paper to Palmetto, Georgia that same year and retitled it the Palmetto Gazette. Starnes served as editor of the paper with E. H. Miller as publisher during this period. By 1872, A. O. Cantrell owned the newspaper, now titled the Palmetto Shield, and ceased publication early that year to work on the Fairburn Waif.