The Milledgeville news. (Milledgeville, Ga.) 1901-19??
Place of Publication:
- Milledgeville, Baldwin county
Dates of publication:
- Began in Oct. 1901.
- Baldwin County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Baldwin County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01212301
- Milledgeville (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Description based on: Vol. 8, no. 15 (Jan. 9, 1909).
The Milledgeville news. January 9, 1909
Established in October of 1901 by W. J. Vaughn, the Milledgeville News was the Union Recorder's primary competition during the early 20th century. At its peak, the News matched the Recorder's circulation of about 1,200. One could purchase a subscription to the Democratic News for one dollar per anuum and, in the beginning; the paper delivery could be expected every Saturday morning. In 1909, Vaughn sold his paper to city councilman H. E. McAuliffe, a former editor of the Atlanta Journal. The News would remain under McAuliffe's editorship until the paper ceased publication in the early 1920s.