The Moultrie observer. (Moultrie, GA.) 1894-1937
Place of Publication:
- Moultrie, Colquitt county
Dates of publication:
- Vol. 1, no. 1 (Mar. 15, 1894)-v. 37, no. 45 (Nov. 19, 1937).
- Colquitt County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Colquitt County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01208059
- Moultrie (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Daily editions: Daily observer (Moultrie, Ga.), June 19, 1905-Feb. 14, 1919; and: Moultrie observer (Moultrie, Ga. : Daily), Feb. 15, 1919-Nov. 19, 1937.
The Moultrie observer. September 29, 1899
Wade Hamption Cooper established the Weekly Moultrie Observer in March 1894 as Colquitt County’s first newspaper. The paper circulated every Thursday at a subscription cost of one dollar, and, like most Georgia county newspapers in the 19th century, supported the Democratic Party. In 1896, C. B. Allen purchased the Observer and became the paper’s editor-in-chief and majority shareholder until his death in 1949. In 1905, Allen expanded the paper with the addition of the Daily Observer, which he published alongside the weekly edition. In 1919, Allen consolidated the editions and published only a daily edition titled the Moultrie Observer. Following Allen’s death, his wife managed the newspaper until 1950. The Observer continues to publish today as Colquitt County’s legal organ.