A Friend of the family. (Savannah, Ga.) 1849-1???
Place of Publication:
- Savannah, Chatham county
Dates of publication:
- Vol. 1, no. 1 (Mar. 1, 1849)-
- Chatham County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Chatham County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01207617
- Savannah (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Available on microfilm from Readex Microprint Corp.
- Published as: "The Friend of the Family" after Mar. 10, 1850.
A Friend of the family. March 1, 1849
E. J. Purse published the first issue of his literary magazine, Friend of the Family, on March 1, 1849. For two dollars a year, subscribers received the four-page paper on a weekly basis. Among the many contributors were Susan A. Stuart, C. L. Wheler, L. T. Voigt, A. B. Meek, and Annie Lee. William Tappan Thompson’s ‘Major Jones’ Letters’ and other works were also re-printed in Friend of the Family. The magazine was short-lived, however, with its last issue printed in March, 1851.