Digital Library of Georgia Logo
GALILEO Logo

The Alpharetta free press. (Alpharetta, GA.) 188?-19??

 

Title:

The Alpharetta free press.

Place of Publication:

Alpharetta, GA.

Geographic coverage:

  • Alpharetta, Fulton county

Publisher:

G.D. Rucker

Dates of publication:

188?-19??

Frequency:

Weekly

Languages:

  • English

Subjects:

  • Alpharetta (Ga.)--Newspapers.
  • Fulton County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
  • Georgia--Alpharetta.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01226931
  • Georgia--Fulton County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01211153

Notes:

  • Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
  • Description based on: Vol. 4, no. 1 (Jan. 27, 1893).

LCCN:

sn89053707

OCLC:

20071923

The Alpharetta free press. January 27, 1893

About

George D. Rucker and W. T. Collins published the first issue of the Alpharetta Free Press in January 1890. The paper circulated every Friday at a subscription cost of one dollar and politically supported the Democratic Party. The paper was anti-populist and editorialized in favor of conservatie Democrat William Yates Atkinson’s successful run for governor in 1893. By 1895, the Free Press’ popularity forced its competitor, the Milton Enterprise, out of business, and the Free Press became Milton County’s legal organ. After Collins left the Free Press in 1892, Rucker managed editorial and publishing duties until he established a second newspaper, the Lawrenceville News, in November 1893. John J. Newton then took over management of the Free Press while Rucker focused on establishing the Lawrenceville Publishing Company. In January 1895, Rucker returned to Alpharetta, founded a law practice, and assumed control of the Free Press, which he managed well into the 20th century. The Free Press ceased publication in the 1930s after Milton County merged with Fulton County and the Free Press lost its status as the county paper of record.