The Atlanta Georgian. (Atlanta, GA.) 1906-1907
Place of Publication:
- Atlanta, Fulton county
Dates of publication:
- Vol. 1, no. 1 (Apr. 25, 1906)-v. 1, no. 243 (Feb. 1, 1907).
- Atlanta (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Fulton County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Fulton County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01211153
- Merged with: Atlanta evening news, to form: Atlanta Georgian and news.
- Published in several editions.
The Atlanta Georgian. June 1, 1906
In 1906, Fred Loring Seely established the Atlanta Georgian as daily newspaper. He used the publication as a forum to support prohibition and speak out against the convict labor lease system. Famed media tycoon William Randolph Hurst purchased the paper in 1912. Under his ownership, the Georgian became the third largest newspaper in the state behind the Constitution and the Journal. During this period, the paper employed Mildred Seydell, one on the first female newspaper journalists in the state. Former U.S. congressman, Ohio governor, and presidential candidate James Cox purchased both the Georgian and the Atlanta Journal in 1939, but closed the Georgian in December of that year.