Columbian museum and Savannah commercial advertiser. ([Savannah, Ga.]) 181?-1817
Place of Publication:
- Savannah, Chatham county
Dates of publication:
- Ceased in Jan. 1817.
- Chatham County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Chatham County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01207617
- Savannah (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Description based on: Vol. 22, no. 98 (Jan. 24, 1817) = Whole no. 32567.
- Merged with: Savannah gazette, to form: Columbian museum and Savannah daily gazette.
Columbian museum and Savannah commercial advertiser. January 24, 1817
Titus Powers and Gurdon Seymour published the first issue of the Columbian Museum and Savannah Advertiser on March 8, 1796. The Museum was a more successful rival to the Georgia Gazette than the Georgia Journal and Independent Federal Register and lasted for over two decades. The Museum became Savannah’s sole newspaper for nine months when a fire wiped out the offices and printing press of the Georgia Gazette on November 24, 1796. The Museum’s offices were also lost, but the newspaper was able to publish a single-sheet issue on November 29 about the fire. By October 5, the Museum returned to full-size again and, during the Gazette’s downtime, became the largest newspaper in Savannah. On February 3, 1817, Titus Powers and Gurdon Seymour turned their Columbian Museum and Savannah Advertiser into Savannah’s first daily paper. The owners achieved this by merging with the tri-weekly Savannah Gazette to form the Columbian Museum and Savannah Daily Gazette. The paper lasted for five more years before the Savannah Georgian and Savannah Republican proved more popular. The Museum ceased publication in 1822 under the masthead Savannah Museum.