The Commerce news. (Commerce, Ga.) 1???-current
Place of Publication:
- Commerce, Jackson county
Dates of publication:
- Commerce (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Jackson County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01216851
- Jackson County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Description based on: Vol. 17, no. 14 (Mar. 26, 1908).
The Commerce news. March 26, 1908
The Commerce News became the new masthead of the Harmony Grove Echo following Harmony Grove’s reincorporation as the town of Commerce in 1903. The people of Harmony Grove felt the new name better reflected their commercial role in the North Georgia cotton trade and also wished to solve an issue where mail was going to a town of the same name in Dawson County. The paper was Democratic, published every Thursday for one dollar per annum, and achieved a circulation of 900. John F. Shannon, owner of the Harmony Grove Echo, oversaw the name change and remained owner and editor until his death in 1934. The Commerce News continues publication today.