Dade County news. (Trenton, Ga.) 1888-1889
Place of Publication:
- Trenton, Dade county
Dates of publication:
- Began in 1888? Ceased in Feb. 1889.
- Dade County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Dade County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01215156
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Description based on: Vol. 5, no. 14 (June 8, 1888).
Dade County news. June 8, 1888
T. A. J. Majors founded the Dade County Weekly Times in February 1884, in Rising Fawn, Georgia. The newspaper circulated every Wednesday at a subscription cost of $1.50 and supported the Democratic Party. Majors was a prolific West and Northwest Georgia newspaperman, but he was also notorious for short tenures with the papers he founded. The Times was no different, and T. A. Haveron was the newspaper’s editor and publisher within a few months of its establishment. Shortly after taking over the newspaper, Haveron moved the retitled Dade County Times to Trenton, the seat of Dade County. The paper covered news related to mining operations around the county, and, because of Dade’s isolation from the rest of the state of Georgia and its proximity to Chattanooga, Tennessee, the Times carried Chattanooga news as well. In 1887, business partners Ben T. Brock and Ed. C. Griscom purchased the Times and briefly renamed it the Dade County News. After a few years in Rockmart, Georgia, T. A. J. Majors returned to Dade, acquired the Dade County News in 1888, and reverted its title to the Dade County Weekly Times. In August 1889, citing lack of subscribers, Majors ceased publication of the newspaper.