The Pacificator. (Augusta, Ga.) 1864-1865
Place of Publication:
- Augusta, Richmond county
Dates of publication:
- Ceased in 1865?
- Vol. 1, no. 1 (Oct. 8, 1864)-
- Augusta (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Richmond County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01215116
- Richmond County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
The Pacificator. October 8, 1864
Augusta Constitutionalist editor and former Confederate soldier Patrick Walsh published the first issue of the Pacificator in Augusta on October 8, 1864. Leopold T. Blome served as co-editor of the paper and J. T. Peterson and Company printed it. The Pacificator was the first Catholic newspaper published in Georgia, and had the support of Bishop Augustin Marcellin Vérot as an official Catholic organ. Additionally, Walsh was an advocate for ending the Civil War, which he believed the South could no longer win. At the end of the war on April 9, 1865, the Pacificator briefly ceased publication. Walsh revived the newspaper a month later, however, and this time had the support of not only Bishop Vérot, but also Bishop John McGill of Virginia and Bishop John J. Quinlan of Alabama. Blome did not stay with the returned paper long, leaving Walsh as sole editor and proprietor for the remainder of the paper’s existence with M. M. Hill providing printing services. Despite the support of Catholic officials, the revived Pacificator ceased printing in July, 1865.