The Willacooche sun. (Willacoochee, Ga.) 1904-193?
Place of Publication:
- Willacoochee, Atkinson county
- None, Coffee county
Dates of publication:
- Began in 1904?
- Atkinson County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Atkinson County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01215079
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Description based on: Vol. 3, no. 44 (Oct. 11, 1907).
- Merged with: Willacoochee times, to form: Willacoochee sun=times.
The Willacooche sun. October 11, 1907
Established in late 1904, the Willacoochee Sun was a weekly newspaper published in Coffee County, Georgia. In January 1905, T. B. Hartig, principal of Willacoochee High School, took over editorial management of the paper, and T. A. Z. Wesley remained foreman of the printing plant. Hartig only briefly managed the Sun before P. B. Butler took over, but, in 1906, he left Willacoochee altogether to edit the Nashville Herald. Henry Futrell replaced Butler, and he remained with the paper until it suspended publication in 1910. In 1911, using the same printing press as the Sun, A. H. Wright began publishing the Willacoochee Record. The paper circulated in almost the exact form as the Sun, but increased to eight pages. H. J. McMullen leased the printing plant from Wright in 1912, and he hired Jeff L. Davis to manage the paper. Due to competition from a number of other larger newspapers, the Record, much like the Sun, struggled to financially sustain itself. In 1917, the Pearson Tribune acquired a contract for legal advertising in newly-formed Atkinson County, and the Willacoochee Record ceased publication permanently in May of that year. Willacoochee was without a town newspaper until 1919 when Lee W. Herrin, founder of the Pearson Tribune and owner of the Ware County News, acquired the printing plant in Willacoochee and began publishing the Willacoochee Times. The Times, much like its predecessors, was a weekly newspaper that supported the Democratic Party. Herrin notably reduced the paper in scope, however, and only printed six-page issues. With its community-focused scope, the Times remained in operation until ceasing publication in the 1930s.