Coffee County gazette. (Pearson, Ga.) 18??-1905
Place of Publication:
- Pearson, Atkinson county
- Pearson, Coffee county
Dates of publication:
- Ceased in 1905.
- Coffee County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Coffee County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01214860
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Description based on: Vol. 4, no, 36 (Sept. 10, 1880).
- Merged with: Douglas weekly breeze, to form: Douglas enterprise.
Coffee County gazette. September 10, 1880
William Parker began publishing Coffee County’s first newspaper in 1874 Pearson, Georgia. Titled the Pioneer, the paper circulated weekly at a subscription cost of one dollar and supported the Democratic Party. From 1875 to 1877, the paper had a number of associate editors, but William Parker was again sole editor and proprietor by 1879. By 1880, Parker had abandoned the Pioneer title and was publishing as the Coffee County Gazette. J. M. Freeman, a future editor of the Douglas Enterprise, briefly worked as an editor in the 1880s. In November 1883, Warren P. Ward purchased the paper from Parker. In May 1884, Ward sold the Gazette’s entire printing outfit to T. E. Lanier who used the materials to establish the Waycross Headlight. Ward kept the paper’s name and subscriber list, however, and used those items to revive the paper in October 1903 in Douglas, Georgia. The revived Gazette lasted only two years before the Douglas Enterprise absorbed it.