The South-west Georgian. (Oglethorpe, Ga.) 1851-18??
Place of Publication:
- Oglethorpe, Macon county
Dates of publication:
- Georgia--Macon County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01218167
- Macon County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Oglethorpe (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 5 (May 15, 1851).
The South-west Georgian. May 8, 1851
Charles B. Youngblood, with Egbert W. Allen as a traveling agent, founded the South-west Georgian in April, 1851 in Oglethorpe, Georgia. Until June 12, 1851, A. C. Scott was head editor for the newspaper. The weekly publication could be purchased for two dollars a year and aligned itself with Union-Democrats. The paper editorialized in favor of Howell Cobb for governor and placed the gubernatorial race within the context of Unionists versus Secessionists. On September 19, 1851, J. A. Hogue purchased Allen’s interest in the paper and became partners with Youngblood. Hogue’s time as a part owner, however, was short-lived as he sold his shares to A. M. Holland a week later. Youngblood and Holland edited and published the South-west Georgian together until Holland left in January, 1852. During the 1852 presidential campaign, the paper ran advertisements in support of John J. Crittenden for president despite Crittenden never announcing a campaign. By August 21, 1852, Youngblood, now the sole editor, shifted from Union-Democrat to Whig and frequently wrote in support of Daniel Webster for president. Youngblood left the newspaper in 1852 and sold his shares to E. W. Allen. The paper struggled to maintain a stable subscriber base and ceased publication in the mid-1850s.