The Wilkes republican. (Washington, Ga.) 185?-18??
Place of Publication:
- Washington, Wilkes county
Dates of publication:
- Georgia--Wilkes County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01206962
- Washington (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Wilkes County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Description based on: Vol. 4, no. 41 (June 19, 1857).
The Wilkes republican. June 19, 1857
William Henry Wilson founded the Wilkes Republican in 1848. During the 1860 Democratic convention, Wilson used his paper to support Union-Democrat Stephen Douglas for president. Wilson changed the newspaper’s masthead to the Washington Independent in late 1860 and reduced the size of the paper. In this reduced state, the paper lasted until 1865 when a lack of subscribers made the paper unsustainable.