South-western news. (Americus [Ga.]) 185?-18??
Place of Publication:
- Americus, Sumter county
Dates of publication:
- Americus (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Sumter County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01216008
- Sumter County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Description based on: Vol. 3, no. 6 (Aug. 6, 1856).
South-western news. August 6, 1856
William B. Guerry, with assistance from J. E. Mercer, founded the South-western News in Americus in 1855 and edited the newspaper until 1860. Reverend A. A. Robinson was the paper’s next editor for about a year before leaving to join the Confederate army. On June 1, 1861, Atlanta’s Daily Locomotive editor A. B. Seals purchased the South-western News. Seals changed the masthead to the Americus Weekly Post and continued as editor and owner until the newspaper ceased publication in 1862.