Houston times-journal. volume (Perry, Ga.) 1994-1999
Place of Publication:
- Perry, Houston county
Dates of publication:
- Vol. 124, no. 16 (Feb. 23, 1994)-v. 128, no. 17 (Apr. 28, 1999).
- Georgia--Houston County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01217555
- Houston County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Formed by the union of: Houston home journal (Perry, Ga. : 1924); and: Perry times (Perry, Ga.).
Houston times-journal. volume February 23, 1994
John T. Waterman founded the Houston Home Journal in Perry in December 1870. The paper strongly aligned with the Democratic Party during Reconstruction and notably opposed Tom Watson's Populist Party. Beginning in 1877, the publication's title shifted several times between Houston Home Journal and Home Journal, before finally settling on the former in 1924. Perry-native John H. Hodges purchased the paper in 1880. The Hodges family maintained ownership of the publication for over sixty years, before selling it in 1946. In 1994, the Perry Times merged with the Houston Home Journal in 1994 to form the Houston Times-Journal, before reverting back to its original name in 1999. The Houston Home Journal remains the legal organ for Houston County and continues publication as the county's oldest continually-operated business.