The Washington news. (Washington, Ga.) 1821-183?
Place of Publication:
- Washington, Wilkes county
Dates of publication:
- Georgia--Wilkes County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01206962
- Washington (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Wilkes County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Description based on: Vol. 7, no. 24 (June 15, 1821).
- Publisher: T.A. Pasteur, <1830>.
The Washington news. January 4, 1822
John K. M. Charlton purchased the Monitor in Washington, Georgia in January of 1815 and combined the publication with his newly created The Friend to create The Friend and Monitor. Charlton changed The Friend and Monitor’s masthead to the News in January of 1816. When Charlton bought interest in the Augusta Chronicle and Georgia Gazette in 1820, Phillip C. Guieu became editor and proprietor of the News. In 1821, Guieu changed the masthead to the Washington News. Guieu maintained the paper until 1826 when he sold out to Thomas A. Pasteur. Pasteur served as editor and proprietor of the paper until the early 1830s when he sold the Washington News to William A. Mercer who edited the paper while Jesse Mercer acted as publisher. In 1832, Mercer changed the masthead to the Washington News and Miscellaneous Advertiser. The Mercers owned and edited the paper until 1837 when, citing financial struggles, they sold out to the paper’s rival, the Southern Spy.