The Talbotton standard. (Talbotton, Ga.) 1870-1881
Place of Publication:
- Talbotton, Talbot county
Dates of publication:
- -v. 12, no. 3 (Jan. 18, 1881).
- Began in 1870.
- Georgia--Talbot County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01215872
- Talbot County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Talbotton (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Description based on: Vol. 3, no. 29 (July 25, 1872).
- Issues for Sept. 17, 1874-Jan. 18, 1881 also called Whole no. 246-544.
- Publishers: O.D. Gorman & R.A. Holmes, <1873>; W.E. Mumford, <1876>.
The Talbotton standard. July 25, 1872
John B. Gorman and John T. Waterman established the weekly Talbotton Standard in January 1870 in Talbotton, Georgia. After only six months with the Standard, Waterman sold his interest to Gorman and departed for Perry, Georgia where he founded the Houston Home Journal. In 1871, John B. Gorman brought on his brother, Ossian D. Gorman, as editor. John sold his shares to Ossian in 1872, and Ossian managed the Standard until he left in 1875 to pursue other journalistic opportunities. In the September 16, 1875 issue of the Standard, Ossian wrote a valedictory article which announced Charles T. Porter and W. E. Mumford were now owners of the paper. Mumford, who had been a local reporter for the Standard, now found himself as editor-in-chief. In 1879, W. J. Hall bought the publication from Mumford, but Hall was owner for only a year before John and Ossian Gorman bought out the Talbotton Standard and merged it with their newspaper, the Georgia Register. The consolidated paper was published as the Register and Standard until 1881 when it reverted to the Georgia Register. In 1883, a stock company, operating as the New Era Publishing Company, purchased the Georgia Register and established a newspaper called the New Era. The Talbotton New Era continues to publish today as Talbot County’s legal organ.