The Georgia register. (Talbotton, Talbot County, Ga.) 1877-18??
Place of Publication:
- Talbotton, Talbot county
Dates of publication:
- Began in 1877?
- Talbot County--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 18 (Dec. 4, 1877).
The Georgia register. December 4, 1877
John B. Gorman and his brother, O. D. Gorman, both former owners of the Talbotton Standard, published the first issue of the Georgia Register in 1877 in Talbotton, Georgia. The paper circulated on a weekly basis at a subscription cost of one dollar per year and supported the Democratic Party. John Gorman bought out the Standard in 1880 and merged it with his own to form the Register and Standard, but he reverted the title to the Georgia Register after less than a year. In 1883, a stock company, operating as the New Era Publishing Company, purchased the Georgia Register and established a newspaper called the New Era. The Talbotton New Era continues to publish today as Talbot County’s legal organ.