Georgia banner. (Newnan, Ga.) 1840-185?
Place of Publication:
- Newnan, Coweta county
Dates of publication:
- Began in 1840?
- Coweta County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Coweta County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01211861
- Newnan (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Description based on: Vol. 9, no. 47 (Mar. 13, 1849).
Georgia banner. April 18, 1856
James A. and Frank M. Welch founded the Transcript in 1840 as Newnan’s fourth newspaper. In that same year, the masthead changed to the Georgia Banner with Saxon M. Anderson as the printer. Later, this title became the Georgia Banner and Sentinel. During the antebellum period, the paper served as the legal organ for Coweta, Heard, Carroll, and Meriwether counties. The newspaper ceased publication during the Civil War, but the Welch family played a major role in the founding and continuation of the Newnan Herald in the post-war years.