Daily journal and messenger. (Macon, Ga.) 18??-1865
Place of Publication:
- Macon, Bibb county
Dates of publication:
- Ceased in 1865.
- Bibb County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Bibb County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01207988
- Macon (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libaries.
- Also published in a weekly ed. with title: Georgia journal and messenger.
- Description based on: Vol. 43, no. 13 (Mar. 16, 1865).
- Volume numbering changed from v. 43 to v. 63 in Aug. 1865.
Daily journal and messenger. March 29, 1865
Simri Rose and Matthew Robinson began publishing the Messenger out of Fort Hawkins, Georgia on March 16, 1823. When Macon was incorporated as a town on December 10, 1823, the partners moved their paper to Macon. In 1824, Rose and Robinson changed their paper’s masthead to the Georgia Messenger. The Georgia Messenger, incorporated under S. Rose and Company, merged with the Georgia Journal in 1847 to become the Georgia Journal and Messenger. By 1850, the Journal and Messenger identified itself as Whig and achieved a circulation of 3,200. The paper eventually merged with the Georgia Weekly Telegraph in 1869 after the J. W. Burke Company sold out to Telegraph owner Joseph Clisby.