Georgia journal and messenger. (Macon, Ga.) 1847-1869
Place of Publication:
- Macon, Bibb county
Dates of publication:
- Ceased with Nov. 13, 1869 issue.
- Vol. 25, no. 2 (Apr. 15, 1847)-
- Bibb County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Bibb County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01207988
- Macon (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also issued on microfilm by Micro Photo Div., Bell & Howell Co. and the University of Georgia Libraries.
- Daily eds.: Daily journal and messenger (Macon, Ga.); Macon daily journal and messenger (Macon, Ga. : 1865); Daily journal and messenger (Macon, Ga. : 1867).
- Formed by the union of: Georgia journal (Milledgeville, Ga.), and: Georgia messenger.
- Merged with: Weekly Georgia telegraph, to form: Georgia weekly telegraph and Georgia journal & messenger.
- Published as: Georgia journal & messenger, <Apr.> 1868.
- Publishers: Simri Rose & Co., <1851-1865>; Rose & Burr, <1866>-1868; J.W. Burke & Co., 1868-1869.
Georgia journal and messenger. April 15, 1847
Beginning on March 16, 1823, Simri Rose and Matthew Robinson published the Messenger out of Fort Hawkins, Georgia. When Macon was incorporated as a town on December 10, 1823, the partners moved their paper to Macon. In 1824, Rose and Robinson changed their paper’s masthead to the Georgia Messenger. The Georgia Messenger, incorporated under S. Rose and Company, merged with the Georgia Journal in 1847 to become the Georgia Journal and Messenger. By 1850, the Journal and Messenger identified itself as Whig and achieved a circulation of 3,200. The paper eventually merged with the Georgia Weekly Telegraph in 1869 after the J. W. Burke Company sold out to Telegraph owner Joseph Clisby.