The Jackson news. (Jackson, Ga.) 1881-????
Place of Publication:
- Jackson, Butts county
Dates of publication:
- Began in 1881.
- Butts County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Butts County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01204470
- Jackson (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 18 (Jan. 12 1882).
The Jackson news. January 4, 1882
In 1881, W. E. Harp founded the Jackson News as a weekly, Democratic competitor to the Middle Georgia Argus. At the time, the Argus published out of Indian Springs, Georgia, which left the News as the only newspaper based within the city of Jackson. W. E. Harp left the paper for two years beginning in 1890. In his absence, the paper was published by McDonald & Joiner with John G. McDonald as lead editor. In 1891, the News embraced its increasingly Populist leanings and changed its title to the News and Alliance to reflect the growth of the Farmer’s Alliance in Georgia. W. E. Harp returned to the paper in 1892 and, besides adjusting the masthead to News and Allianceman, he maintained the direction of the paper until it ceased publication in 1895.