The messenger. (Fort Hawkins, Ga.) 1823-1823
Place of Publication:
- Fort Hawkins, Bibb county
Dates of publication:
- Vol. 1, no. 1 (Mar. 21, 1823)-v. 1, no. 23 (Nov. 5, 1823).
- Bibb County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Fort Hawkins (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Bibb County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01207988
- Georgia--Fort Hawkins.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01289208
- Available on microfilm from the University of Georgia Libraries.
- Publisher varies: Simri Rose & Robertson, Aug. 4, 1823-
The messenger. March 21, 1823
Beginning on March 16, 1823, Simri Rose and Matthew Robinson published the Messenger out of Fort Hawkins, Georgia. When Macon was incorporated as a town on December 10, 1823, the partners moved their paper to Macon. In 1824, Rose and Robinson changed their paper’s masthead to the Georgia Messenger. The Georgia Messenger, incorporated under S. Rose and Company, merged with the Georgia Journal in 1847 to become the Georgia Journal and Messenger. By 1850, the Journal and Messenger identified itself as Whig and achieved a circulation of 3,200. The paper eventually merged with the Georgia Weekly Telegraph in 1869 after the J. W. Burke Company sold out to Telegraph owner Joseph Clisby.