Georgia messenger. (Ft. Hawkins, Ga.) 1823-1847
Place of Publication:
- Fort Hawkins, Bibb county
- Macon, Bibb county
Dates of publication:
- Vol. 1, no. 34 (Nov. 12, 1823)-v. 25, no. 1 (Apr. 8, 1847).
- Bibb County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Fort Hawkins (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Bibb County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01207988
- Georgia--Fort Hawkins.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01289208
- Macon (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Imprint varies: Publication moved to Macon, Ga. on Dec. 10, 1823.
- Merged with: Georgia journal (Milledgeville, Ga.), to form: Georgia journal and messenger.
- Publisher varies: S. Rose & Marmaduke J. Slade, Mar. 22, 1826- ; S. Rose & Co., Oct. 30, 1830-
Georgia messenger. November 12, 1823
Beginning on March 16, 1823, Simri Rose and Matthew Robinson published the Messenger out of Fort Hawkins, Georgia. When Macon was incorporated as a town on December 10, 1823, the partners moved their paper to Macon. In 1824, Rose and Robinson changed their paper’s masthead to the Georgia Messenger. The Georgia Messenger, incorporated under S. Rose and Company, merged with the Georgia Journal in 1847 to become the Georgia Journal and Messenger. By 1850, the Journal and Messenger identified itself as Whig and achieved a circulation of 3,200. The paper eventually merged with the Georgia Weekly Telegraph in 1869 after the J. W. Burke Company sold out to Telegraph owner Joseph Clisby.