The Tri-weekly times and sentinel. (Columbus, Ga.) 1853-1854
Place of Publication:
- Columbus, Muscogee county
Dates of publication:
- Began in 1853; ceased in 1854?
- Columbus (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Muscogee County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01216552
- Muscogee County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 2 (Jan. 7, 1853).
- Formed by the union of: Southern sentinel (Columbus, Ga.), and: Tri-weekly Columbus times.
The Tri-weekly times and sentinel. January 7, 1853
James Van Ness founded the weekly Columbus Times on February 11, 1841. Ness, Columbus’ postmaster since 1828, was editor and proprietor of the Times until his retirement on April 10, 1844. John Forsyth and William L. Jeter then operated as co-owners of the newspaper. Jeter sold his share of the Times to former Macon Democrat editor Marcus Johnson in April, 1843. General James N. Bethune became involved with the paper in the mid-1840s and remained as publisher until Roswell Ellis and Company purchased the Times in 1849. Under Ellis, the Times experienced significant growth in scope and circulation. In 1852, with co-owner and former Enquirer editor Tennant Lomax, Ellis merged the Times with William H. Chamber’s Southern Sentinel to form the Weekly Times and Sentinel. In 1853, the two owners introduced a tri-weekly edition of the Times and Sentinel which they continued until 1858. R. Ellis and Company, with editorial assistance from Peyton H. Colquitt and James W. Warren, again expanded their paper to include a daily edition titled the Columbus Daily Times. On the topic of secession, the largely Democratic Times fell in favor of breaking from the Union which put the publication at odds with the Columbus Enquirer and some of the staff at the Daily Sun. The Times published weekly and daily editions until October, 1865, when the Daily Sun absorbed the Times.