The Farmers journal. (Homer, Ga.) 1888-1889
Place of Publication:
- Homer, Banks county
Dates of publication:
- Ceased in 1889.
- Vol. 1, no. 38 (Jan. 23, 1889)-
- Banks County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Banks County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01214864
- Homer (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
The Farmers journal. January 23, 1889
On April 25, 1888, Joseph Barton published the first issue of the Banks County Observer in Homer, Georgia. The publication became Banks County’s first legal organ which allowed the Athens Banner-Watchman to drop that responsibility. Barton edited and published the weekly paper with J. W. Sumpter as printer. On January 23, 1889, the Observer became the Farmer’s Journal. This new name lasted only eight months before becoming the Weekly Journal on September 12, 1889. With Sumpter’s printing press firmly established by 1889, printing job advertisements began appearing in the pages of the Journal. In early April of 1890, after running the paper for two years, Barton left to pursue a job in the railroad industry. Reverend T. O. Rorie edited the paper from April 10 to May 1, but the Weekly Journal ceased publication in that first week of May of 1890.