The Business circular. (Savannah, Ga.) 1867-18??
Place of Publication:
- Savannah, Chatham county
Dates of publication:
- Began in 1867.
- Chatham County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Chatham County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01207617
- Savannah (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 3 (Apr. 13, 1867).
The Business circular. April 13, 1867
John Holbrook Estill published the first issue of the weekly Business Circular as a freely-distributed advertising sheet on March 30, 1867 in Savannah, Georgia. After the Civil War, Estill grew a newspaper and periodical depot business, located on the corner of Bull and Byran streets, into a printing office on 111 Bay Street. This printing office handled the publication of S. W. Mason’s Daily News and Herald, which eventually became the Savannah Morning News under Estill’s management. Estill’s news depot and printing office distributed a wide selection of printed materials and the Business Circular was intended to be a free insert that accompanied those materials. The Circular contained minor articles of interest with the vast majority of sheet space used for business advertisements. Estill also employed newsboys to distribute the Circular along railroad lines, steamboat ports, and storefronts. Despite Estill’s success as a printer and efforts distributing the Circular, he ceased printing the advertising sheet after less than a year in circulation.