The Savannah daily journal and courier. (Savannah, Ga.) 185?-185?
Place of Publication:
- Savannah, Chatham county
Dates of publication:
- Chatham County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Chatham County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01207617
- Savannah (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Also published a weekly and tri-weekly edition (title unknown).
- Description based on: Vol. 5, no. 95 (Mar. 6, 1855).
- Formed by the union of: Savannah evening journal, and: Savannah courier (Savannah, Ga. : 1852).
The Savannah daily journal and courier. March 6, 1855
S. T. Chapman began the Savannah Courier in 1852 with both weekly and daily editions. In less than a year, Chapman entered into a partnership with J. B. Cubbedge of the Savannah Evening Journal to form the Savannah Daily Journal and Courier. The newspaper was suspended upon Chapman’s death in 1854 but revived when R. B. Hilton purchased the publication. Hilton changed the masthead to the Savannah Daily Journal which remained the title until merging with the Savannah Georgian in May 1856 to form the Savannah Georgian and Journal. The paper underwent a title change in 1857 when A. R. Lamar published the paper as the Savannah Daily Georgian.