The weekly star. (Douglasville, Ga.) 18??-18??
Place of Publication:
- Douglasville, Douglas county
Dates of publication:
- Douglas County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Douglasville (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Douglas County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01212002
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Description based on: Vol. 6, no. 11 (Apr. 15, 1884).
The weekly star. February 3, 1885
Charles O. Peavy published the first issue of the Weekly Star in Douglasville, Georgia in 1877. J. B. C. Quillian served as editor of the Democratic Party-aligned four-page newspaper. By 1889, J. S. James had purchased the Star and retitled it the New South. Elam Christian owned the paper for a year in 1891, but resold the publication to James by the following year. James remained owner for the remainder of the life of the New South. The paper continued its weekly circulation on Tuesdays through the title change. For several decades, the New South covered the events of Douglas County, but facing competition from the popular Douglas County Sentinel, the New South ceased publication by 1911.