The daily sun. (Columbus, Ga.) 1855-1873
Place of Publication:
- Columbus, Muscogee county
Dates of publication:
- Began July 30, 1855.
- -v. 19, no. 103 (Dec. 31, 1873).
- Columbus (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Muscogee County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01216552
- Muscogee County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Absorbed Columbus times (Columbus, Ga. : Daily) on Oct. 3, 1865. Masthead remained same, but publishers' block had title: Sun and times.
- Also issued on microfilm from the University of Georgia.
- Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 16 (Aug. 16, 1855).
- Merged with: Columbus times (Columbus, Ga. : Daily), to form: Sun and Columbus enquirer.
- Publishers: Thomas De Wolf, <1856>; Thomas Gilbert & Co., <1862>, <1873>.
- Suspended Apr. 17-Aug. 30, 1865. Cf. Gregory, W. Amer. newspapers.
- Weekly ed.: Weekly sun (Columbus, Ga. : 1857), <1859>-1873.
The daily sun. January 24, 1856
The Daily Sun was founded in 1855 by Thomas De Wolf as Columbus’ first daily newspaper. De Wolf entered into a partnership with Thomas Gilbert and the two created the Thomas Gilbert & Co. publishing company in 1862. The daily paper was one of three newspapers being published in Columbus. In 1858, De Wolf used his paper to support Governor Joseph E. Brown’s second term. Regarding possible secession, the three Columbus papers were divided with the Daily Sun’s own editorial board split between secessionists and unionists. The Sun’s biggest rival, the Columbus Enquirer, supported Union-Democrats. In 1865, the Sun absorbed the Columbus Times but did not change the masthead. The Daily Sun was maintained until 1873 when the owners of the Columbus Enquirer purchased the newspaper to form the Columbus Enquirer-Sun.