The weekly sun. (Columbus, Ga.) 1857-1873
Place of Publication:
- Columbus, Muscogee county
Dates of publication:
- -v. 15, no. 47 (Dec. 30, 1873).
- Began in 1857?
- Columbus (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Muscogee County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01216552
- Muscogee County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Description based on: Vol. 3, no. 16 (Aug. 2, 1859).
- Publication suspended Apr. 17, 1865-<Oct. 1, 1865>.
The weekly sun. August 2, 1859
The Daily Sun was founded in 1855 by Thomas De Wolf as Columbus’ first daily newspaper. De Wolf entered into a partnership with Thomas Gilbert and the two created the Thomas Gilbert & Co. publishing company in 1862. The daily paper was one of three newspapers being published in Columbus. In 1858, De Wolf used his paper to support Governor Joseph E. Brown’s second term. Regarding possible secession, the three Columbus papers were divided with the Daily Sun’s own editorial board split between secessionists and unionists. The Sun’s biggest rival, the Columbus Enquirer, supported Union-Democrats. In 1865, the Sun absorbed the Columbus Times but did not change the masthead. The Daily Sun was maintained until 1873 when the owners of the Columbus Enquirer purchased the newspaper to form the Columbus Enquirer-Sun.