Digital Library of Georgia Logo
GALILEO Logo

Savannah Abend Zeitung. (Savannah [Ga.]) 1871-1887

 

Title:

Savannah Abend Zeitung.

Place of Publication:

Savannah [Ga.]

Geographic coverage:

  • Savannah, Chatham county

Publisher:

J. Stern

Dates of publication:

1871-1887

Description:

  • Began in Apr. 1871; ceased in 1887?

Frequency:

Weekly

Languages:

  • English
  • German

Subjects:

  • Chatham County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
  • Georgia--Chatham County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01207617
  • Georgia--Savannah.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01207319
  • German Americans--Newspapers.
  • German Americans.--fast--(OCoLC)fst00941308
  • Germans--United States--Newspapers.
  • Germans.--fast--(OCoLC)fst00942100
  • Savannah (Ga.)--Newspapers.
  • United States.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01204155

Notes:

  • Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
  • Democratic. Cf. Arndt & Olson. German lang. press.
  • Description based on: Jahrg. 1, Nr. 44 (21. Februar 1872).
  • In German; with some articles in English <1874>.

LCCN:

sn85034257

OCLC:

12595264

Savannah Abend Zeitung. February 21, 1872

About

Jonathan Stern and Rev. C. F. Bansemer established the Savannah Abend Zeitung (Savannah Evening News) in April 1871 in Savannah, Georgia. Stern, who moved from Bavaria to Savannah in 1869 and founded a publishing house, was publisher while Bansemer held editorial responsibilities. The newspaper printed principally in the German language and circulated every Wednesday at a subscription cost of $3.50. In 1876, Bansemer retired as editor to further pursue ministry which left Stern as sole editor and proprietor. After becoming the official city printer in January 1877, Stern founded a second newspaper, the Savannah Recorder, and he published the Recorder and Abend Zeitung simultaneously until 1883. In September 1883, the Stern Publishing Company ceased publication of the Savannah Recorder and redirected its entire focus on the Abend Zeitung. The German newspaper continued for three more years before ceasing publication in 1886.