Cedartown advertiser. (Cedartown, Ga.) 1878-1889
Place of Publication:
- None, Haralson county
- Cedartown, Polk county
Dates of publication:
- Began in 1878? Ceased in 1889?
- Cedartown (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Polk County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01218084
- Polk County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- "Official Journal of Polk and Haralson Counties."
- Absorbed: Cedartown express, and: Cedartown record.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Description based on: Old ser., vol. 5, no. 48; new ser., v. 1, no. 9 (Feb. 13, 1879).
Cedartown advertiser. February 13, 1879
W. S. D. Wikle established Cedartown's first newspaper in 1869 by under the masthead Cedartown Record. The Record ran without competition until Thomas Gibson founded the Cedartown Express. The Express ended publication after Gibson left to become an elder for the Methodist Church. The Cedartown Advertiser, started by Dr. William Bradford, ran for a short time after the closing of the Express and eventually merged with the Record. A locally organized stock company established the Democratic Cedartown Standard in 1889 and absorbed the Advertiser. Shortly after its foundation, E. B. Russel and W. S. Coleman purchased the paper and operated the publication continuously from 1889 to 1912. In 1912, Russel purchased Coleman's interests and was sole proprietor of the paper until his death in June 1930. As a notable contributor, Charles K. Henderson, member of company F. 3rd Georgia in the Confederate Army, wrote and published a serial history of Polk County in the Cedartown Standard, starting in 1897. The Standard continued publication into the twentieth century and is the oldest continually published paper in the county. It combined with the Rockmark Journal in 2014 to form the Polk Standard Journal under the ownership of Times Journal Inc.