Weekly republic. (Augusta, Ga.) 1848-1851
Place of Publication:
- Augusta, Richmond county
Dates of publication:
- Began in 1848?
- Augusta (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Richmond County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01215116
- Richmond County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- "A Whig Journal, devoted to News, Politics, Literature, General Intelligence, Agriculture, &c."
- Description based on: Vol. 3, no. 8 (Feb. 19, 1850).
- Editors: James M. Smythe, Andrew H.H. Dawson, Robert A. Whyte, <1850>-
- Merged with: Weekly Georgia constitutionalist (Augusta, Ga. : 1851), to form: Weekly Georgia constitutionalist, and weekly republic.
Weekly republic. May 23, 1849
James M. Smythe founded the Weekly Republic in Augusta in 1848. With Smythe as owner and editor, Robert A. Wayne assisted as a co-editor of the newspaper. The publication reflected Smythe’s Whig politics and was also available to subscribers as the Tri-Weekly Republic. The Weekly Republic merged with the Weekly Georgia Constitutionalist in 1851.