The Georgia journal. (Milledgeville, Ga.) 1809-1847
Place of Publication:
- Milledgeville, Baldwin county
Dates of publication:
- Ceased Mar. 10, 1847.
- Vol. 1, no. 1 (Nov. 3, 1809)-
- Baldwin County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Baldwin County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01212301
- Milledgeville (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Merged with: Georgia messenger, to form: Georgia journal and messenger.
The Georgia journal. November 3, 1809
Virginians Seaton and Fleming Grantland established the Georgia Journal in Milledgeville in 1809, the same year they moved into town. The paper had a major presence in the earliest years of the state capital and leaned toward the John Clark political faction. The Georgia Journal was so successful during Milledgeville's earliest years, it absorbed smaller publications like the Reflector, which ran independently from 1817 to 1819. In 1847, the Georgia Journal merged with the Georgia Messenger in Macon, which in turn would merge with the Macon Telegraph in 1869.